A Fresh Start to a New Beginning’s mission is to reintegrate returning citizens into the community.
The Problems Facing Returning Citizens
Returning citizens face many challenges upon release, from basics such as housing, food, clothing, limited access to a mobile phone or computer, to more complicated issues like getting an updated photo ID or driver’s license, transportation and access to training, education and employment opportunities.
These all act as obstacles in the way of an already overwhelmed person to becoming a self-sufficient, productive member of the community.
According to HealthyPeople.gov, within 3 years of their release, 2 out of 3 people are rearrested and more than 50% are incarcerated again.
A Fresh Start to a New Beginning seeks funding to rehabilitate 26 apartment units that will be used for our program. We will provide an array of life skills services and housing services from temporary to permanent housing, job readiness programs, GED, mental health/ substance abuse assessments and services, individual and family counseling. AFSNB will also, provide the holistic services that will empower these individuals to live a self-sufficient life. Each unit will be fully furnished and rent will include Ring doorbell, wifi, and utilities.
AFSNB has a mission to reintegrate returning citizens into the community by providing resources and skills along with housing to facilitate the possible reunification of clients with their families to empower these individuals to live a self-sufficient life and restore their dignity and confidence when returning to society.
The resources provided will include education, counseling, life skills classes, job readiness training, employment services, and case management.
- To create positive productive citizens
- To provide safe transitional living & support services for returning citizens
- To provide skills for work and home, reducing marriage/family conflict
- To help returnees develop attitudes and capabilities that support the adoption of healthy, recovery-oriented behaviors and a healthy re-engagement with the community
- To provide case management and recovery support services to residents to achieve wellness and autonomy through advocacy, planning, networking, communication, education and resource management
- To provide permanent housing to all clients upon completion of the program
Since 2017 A Fresh Start to a New Beginning has:
- Provided health screenings
- Assisted with GED exams and expungements of criminal records
- Assisted in getting constitutional rights restored
- Donated clothes and care packages consisting of toiletries, shoes, socks and underwear
- Provided transportation to and from doctor appointments and job interviews
- Facilitated mentorship on job skills, etiquette and business planning
- Prepared food for returning citizens referred to our organization
In 2019, A Fresh Start to a New Beginning had a job fair with a very successful turnout. Transportation and counseling were provided, and all clients received assistance for education and/or job experience.
Meet the Founders
Jerico is the driving force behind the organization. He understands how an inmate feels when re-entering society, having close friends and family members who’ve gone through this often painful process. His goal is to ensure that every inmate understands that they are Men and will be providers and productive citizens. He will provide every man with the tools needed to be successful.
Nadja shares and supports her husband’s passion to help change the lives of returning citizens. She holds a B.S. degree in Business from LeMoyne-Owen College and dual Masters in Business and Criminal Justice. Additionally, she has experience working with Shelby County Government, local educational institutions, and the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office.